Saturday, July 4, 2009

Reasons NOT to work in tech support.

I'm sure everyone can think of tons of reasons NOT to go into tech support....I just wanted to highlight a few of the particularly BAD reasons for those considering going into this line of work.
While tech support positions are easier to obtain than some others and may seem appealing, they have many more negative aspects than positive.
  • LOW LOW LOW pay
  • The nagging feeling that you're easily replaced by someone in Bangladesh who will work for 10 cents an hour.
  • Negative work environment caused by managers who are clinging to their position for dear life. (They are just as easily replaced)
  • Horrible hours. You're expected to answer phones 10 hours a day, 6 days a week sometimes.
  • Even more horrible work environment. Some offices are better than others and working from home, if you have the option, is even more desirable. But for the most part, companies view tech support as some sort of horrible virus rather than a vital part of their business.

I know I'm just venting here and I HAVE worked in tech support and related fields for many years. But tell me if I'm leaving something out or if you think I'm wrong altogether.....

No comments:

Post a Comment